Sider

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Cinnamonster.

In school or at work, my problem is often finding a snack that packs light, goes straight from the fridge and into the bag and which is satisfying and - preferably - reasonably tasty. My meals are often salads so I like my snacks to be filling. Rice cakes get me nowhere. I mentioned before that I've just tried making Janethas protein muffins - bringing a slice of bread or something baked hasn't been a favorite option of mine before, I think gluten free breads are often to light and sugary, and always dry as paper a couple of days after they are baked. I've been bringing store-bought protein bars at times when I was really pressed for time, but if you feel socially akward about eating a gluten free diet already, having nothing but protein bars for snacks is going to take that to a whole new level.

So I just baked the muffins second time around and I went overboard with the cinnamon - adding the cinnamon reminded me of oatmeal at a friend's house when I was a kid, where we were allowed to make our own oatmeal and we had a kind of upping-the-cinnamon-dosage pseudo experiment going on, and while I thought of that I just kind of kept on going. I guess now that I tweaked the recipe they are rice-protein-muffins more than anything else, but if rice and buckwheat are your only grain options, this works. Adding some raisins would make them really breakfast-y I guess, but I like leaving them plain and dressing them in nut butter. By the way, I just tried making Averies homemade protein bars and ended up having to eat the crumbly result with a spoon. Obviously I need to pay a bit more attention to measurements next time I attempt that recipe.

Here are the ingredients from the original recipe for chia seed protein muffins - which is found here, at Meals and Moves. I have written in parentheses what I used for a substitute - some things i subbed to make it gluten and dairy free, some things because I didn't have the stuff it calls for. Also I don't have anything that can measure 15 g. or a scoop, so I´ve written my substitute quantities.

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (1/2 cup rice and buckwheat flour)

2/3 cup old fashioned oats (2/3 cup buckwheat flakes)

2 scoops EAS vanilla premium protein powder (5 tbsp rice protein + 2tsp vanilla powder)

2 tsp baking powder (same, but make sure it's gluten free)

1/2 tsp salt (same)

15g chia seeds (3 tbsp chia seeds)

1/4 cup chopped almonds (same)

2 tsp nunaturals baking blend or the equivalent with another sweetener (1 heaping tbsp psyllium husks, 1 small-ish tbsp low-gi sweetener)

1 cup fat free greek yogurt (3/4 cup almond milk + 1 heaping tbsp coconut oil + 1 heaping tbsp ground yellow flax seeds)

3 egg whites (same)

1 egg (same)

1-2 tsp almond extract (2 tbsp cardamom, or cinnamon)

12 whole almonds (same, but I only got 10 muffins)

No comments:

Post a Comment