Sider

Friday, April 9, 2010

Green MONSTER!


Please try and make the recipe from this post over at Vegan Strong if you need a little extra protein and are fairly open-minded about food textures and about mixing at-first-glance-weird-sounding ingredients or if you need a quick filling breakfast option or indeed all of the above. I realise that protein is probably not something that any of us actually lack and I have never obsessed about it, but I like to add it sometimes for a nice filling feeling. I am not a vegan, but the debate about protein-intake and a vegan diet seems to be ongoing as witnessed by this post, with lots of links to articles and resources, at Love Veggies and Yoga. I am easily convinced of the logic that we don't need animal protein to grow muscle. It's probably true that most monkeys = super strong = plant eaters?

Something else I have to mention about this recipe and I don't know which was there first - I'm guessing the term "green monster" is not exactly patentable - but this recipe should not be confused with the Green Monster Movement started by Angela from Oh She Glows to promote green smoothies. These are green monster breakfast cookies.

I like my version of the breakfast cookies super-smooth and I can't eat oats, so I made mine like so: I put everything into the foodprocessor, wet stuff first but only three tbsp liquid sweetener, then I melted the coconut butter with about three tbsp hot water to make up for it. I added and processed the grated carrots, buckwheat flakes (in stead of oats) and dates - a bit of a splurge, but I don't like raisins (I use about 3 large medjool dates, or 1/2 cup smaller, chopped ones). On the other hand I saved by omitting cacao nibs and by using rice protein - cheepest option, but it works fine for me.

Sweet but with the breakfast-flake, bread-like taste as well, and I can only imagine even better with "real" (slurp!) oats. Additional info: these give you absolutely green Hulk-worthy, pasty, green hands when you shape the cookies! Also, I don't want these everyday, so I pop some in the fridge, some in the freezer, and they are just as scrumptous thawed or even when still cold and half-way frozen.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the shout and have a lovely weekend sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    I'm so intrigued by those green monster cookies you mentioned! I may give them a try; although I'm a little scared of the green.

    That's so funny re. us being so similar! Weird. Sounds like your coeliac journey has been similar to mine. What are you studying and did you study?

    Re. the bars, I think they're really easily adapted and would probably taste better with adaptation. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green monster cookies are right up my alley. Yum!

    On other note, I was just curious if you draw all the pics on your blog. I love them.

    ReplyDelete