Sider

Monday, August 16, 2010

Over-cooked!

I am happy to say that I think I have perfected my first no-bake, gluten free, scd-friendly müesli recipe.

I had the day off and took the opportunity to bake up a gluten free, scd-friendly storm; the coffee-grinder has been working overtime processing all those almonds. My müesli is minimum prep-time, though,

Gluten free, scd-friendly no-bake müesli:

1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup chopped walnuts
0.5 cup shredded, dried coconut
0.5 cup chopped, dried "exotic" fruit (papaya, pineapple, raisins)
1 tsp vanilla powder

Just mix it all, and enjoy over apple sauce, a grated apple, or other fruit, with non-dairy liquid of choice.

Then the baked stuff: I made Elana's cabernet cookies! I actually took the time to blanch all the almonds for the first batch, then proceeded to leave the cookies for too long in the oven so they were completely brown and I had to cut off the bottoms - skinning all the almonds was definitely time well spent. So, yeah, I'm not doing that again. Grape seed flour is a welcome variation on nut and seed flours - I tasted some goodies with grape seed flour while away on holiday, and then splurged and ordered some. I hope to find some cheap way of getting it online from Germany or the UK, but for my first order I just wanted a little bit to try. Think it's a keeper, though - I can't wait to experiment more with it. For the cookies I used less honey, and substituted dried cherries for the chocolate - I definitely see the original version working, too, but I don't eat chocolate and I tend to sprinkle everything i bake on salads.

I baked scd-friendly "cinnamon walnut scones", as well. I admit to not being the scone-connoisseur excatly, but I suspect anyone with the culinary experience of a four-year old could assert that what came out from the oven wasn't worthy of the label "scones". My result was pretty "egg-y" - I'm so glad I omitted the currants to make a more savory version. I blame the extra-over large organic eggs and I may try again using just two eggs.

Lastly a bit of a fail. I baked this gluten free, scd-friendly granola, but it came out too oily and too "baked" to my taste. I mean, it isn't bad, but when I'm going through the trouble of making it myself, why not make it exactly the way I want it. I will have a go at tranforming it into something more to my taste, and dehydrate it in stead.

Although I have had to back-track with the food a bit - I've been eating too much, too soon, and too much raw, I suspect - I'm ready to try some more raw things from the two books I've borrowed. I'm really happy with "ants in a canoe" from The Complete Book of Raw Food (kind of like this, but with apple slices and nut butter - one should think I could have figured that one out without a cookbook) and I'll be trying something a little more bold from The Raw 50 sometime soon.

1 comment:

  1. The muesli sounds reallly good. I love that combo of flavors. And sounds like you've been baking a tonn! I hear you on the granola thing, though. I'm always disappointed when I'm close but not perfect - if I made it and have to eat it, I want it exact! haha. No worries, though - you'll get it :) And the scones sound really good!

    ReplyDelete