Sider

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Breakfast Shortcuts and Almost Carrot Cake

I have been lazy about making nutmilks lately, so I have been enjoying a tip from Healthy Exposures, where Jess put coconut water in her overnight oats. I just pour the coconut water on a grated apple or pear an my homemade müesli, and drizzle some coconut oil - the cold liquid makes the oil thicken into little greasy fragments, mmm. The coconut water is a lot more creamy tasting over müesli than I had thought. Since I burned a whole batch of müesli recently I went lazy about the latest batch and made a no-bake mixture ("shake" rather than bake, if you will...) from equal amounts grated dessicated coconut, chopped almonds and chopped walnuts, with a generous helping of vanilla powder and plenty of mixed, dried "exotic" fruit cut into pieces.

After my holidays I thought the first recipe to grace my kitchen counter would be Carrot Cake Larabars, but after getting no less than six Larabars for an absolute bargain (honestly, I think they were price marked wrongly. The expiry date is fine but they cost about a third of regular price - I just went ahead and stuffed the shopping basket, this was a big supermarket, not a health shop) I thought I'd rather repeat a success I tried shortly before leaving on hols to bring as part of my travel stash: basic biscotti from Z's Cup of Tea. I love biscotti - ever since my favorite girlfriend came over one night of tears and sorrow and consolation for both of us and I realised I had some leftover dessert wine and a big box of biscotti - I swear, as food memories go, that is a GOOD one. Good biscotti are not that expensive so being the slouch that I am in the kitchen I never bothered to make them myself. I turned these into cherry biscotti by substituting dried cherries for currants and I made a batch with the honey to have as dessert, and a batch without the honey to eat...in salads. Yes, I swear, almost anything I bake will work in a salad in a pinch.

I have some goodies that I ordered online coming my way soon: a yoghurt maker, and some stuff I found while in Germany that cannot be bought in Denmark. While I was ordering I came across this date tea! I haven't tried it before but since I am having stuff sent all the way from Germany I thought...live dangerously. I couldn't wait to try it, though, so I'm already having my own diy version: I pour boiling water over one tablespoon raisins and one chopped, dried date in a big glass. If you don't stir it the first sips will be like hot water, but the bottom half is surprisingly sweet! Or stir it, and you distribute the goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment