Sider

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ball recipe and gratitude shout-out


This is a raw ball - a recent staple on my menu. I have celiac disease and I have known about it for about two years, so some time ago when I first encountered the "raw food" idea I wasn't really hooked - I was a little too bogged up in dietary concerns already to consider any more alterations. But a sit turns out now, raw food is s a huge inspiration.
Averie here is an absolute ball-expert, and I read her blog often, as it is a kind of triple whammy of most things I'm interested in: she does yoga, and (un)cooks raw food, shares her recipes generously and avoids dairy and gluten. Yay! The ball of the day, however, is from a recipe posted by "jenergy" at rawpleasure.com.au. It is vanilla-laden, sweet, and just the thing if your stomach cannot handle gluten and corn and there is nowhere to turn when you feel peckish for something sweet. I found the recipe while browsing for a recipe to use my newly purchased mesquite meal some time ago - I think the taste of mesquite, and maca is well, is a bit of an acquired taste, perhaps mostly appealing to those who are barred other types of sweets? I am the kind of person who will eat mostly anything if told that it will be good for my health and my tummy, but I find that many of the things that were setting my nose out of joint when I started experimenting with things like tempeh and incan berries are now those that I enjoy most - it seems like a taste-bud-process kind of like what happens when you drink wine or eat blue cheese. Anyway, the little vanilla mesquite fellas go like this, the recipe calls for macadamia nuts but I used altenatives like almonds, or a combo of sunflower seeds and brazil nuts with success. I also halve the recipe because like Averie, I find that there are so many recipes out there I want to try so I never make a huge batch of anything. The other day I accidently cooked up far too many cookies that it turned out I didn't even like. Ouch, since many of the ingredients are not exactly cheap.
I am not saying I would never have gotten into raw food if I had not been diagnosed with celiac disease, I think I might have given it a shot anyway, but I don't think I would ever have been so dedicated as to really change what I eat for most meals of the day. So here is a huge THANK YOU to all you people out there who are gourmets, health conscious, open-minded and curious enough to develop and share all the raw food recipes out there and blog about your raw life styles, its an inspiration and if not literally a life-saver, then at least a real life-changer. I've always been fairly healthy so I eating my vegetables hasn't been an epiphany for me, but looking at all the great recipes you are putting out there has given me back the joy of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment